[rabbitmq-discuss] Unexaplainable behaviour with shovel plugin.

Laing, Michael michael.laing at nytimes.com
Sat Mar 1 18:00:36 GMT 2014

Interesting. We don't use persistent messages. In fact the proxy clusters,
which stand between our internal clients and the core clusters, explicitly
remove persistence in case our clients 'forget'. We rely on replication
instead; our persistence requirements are 'outsourced' to a global
Cassandra cluster. So no disk IO hence no IO wait - our primo defense
against network partitions in AWS/EC2, and a nice performance boost.

Although principles play a part too: idempotency - when in doubt,
reconnect/resend/resubscribe; tolerate replicas. And we try to
realistically engineer for 5 9's of reliability or more, not 100%, as we
can decompose that target into realistic actions/costs.

ml