[rabbitmq-discuss] Plugin startup behavior issue

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Mon Jun 23 14:17:21 BST 2014

On 18/06/2014 2:36AM, Gavin M. Roy wrote:
> I ran into one other issue on startup, having to do with
> rabbit_direct_client being available. The solution I came up with was to
> use timers to defer the commands until rabbit_direct_client_sup exists.
> Does this seem like a sane approach?

Yeah, I guess so. federation has to do something similar - in theory you
could delay the worker startup but inherently the direct client doesn't
want to start until all exchanges / queues are available, so your
exchange requiring it implies a circular dependency.

In federation we queue up bind / unbind commands. I am not sure your
approach will maintain the ordering correctly. But ordering of bindings
is a big deal for federation; it might not be for you.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, Pivotal