[rabbitmq-discuss] High CPU Usage

Vadakkeveedu, Thara Thara.Vadakkeveedu at Kronos.com
Sun Jun 8 18:25:10 BST 2014

Session time is roughly 3 mins...

Thara Vadakkeveedu | Performance Engineer | Kronos Incorporated
tel: +1 978 947 4123
Kronos | Time & Attendance • Scheduling • Absence Management • HR & Payroll • Hiring • Labor Analytics
Join Kronos on: kronos.com | Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | YouTube

-----Original Message-----
From: rabbitmq-discuss [mailto:rabbitmq-discuss-bounces at lists.rabbitmq.com] On Behalf Of Michael Klishin
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2014 7:48 PM
To: Williams, Brent (Snapfish Web Platform); Discussions about RabbitMQ
Subject: Re: [rabbitmq-discuss] High CPU Usage

On 7 June 2014 at 03:04:24, Williams, Brent (Snapfish Web Platform) (brent.williams at hp.com) wrote:
> > I have 10 Queues and multiple clients connecting around 1,000.
> My CPU is running at 300 % on the beam.swp process. Also my RabbitMq
> management console is reporting 5800 erlang processes. Any
> ideas what I might be missing?

300% CPU means 3 cores fully utilised . 5800 Erlang processes is fine: you can create
millions of them and send each a message on significantly more modest hardware.

Some numbers on how much a newly spawned Erlang process takes can be found
in the docs: http://www.erlang.org/doc/efficiency_guide/processes.html

(in your case the number will be higher because SMP is almost certainly used)
--
MK

Software Engineer, Pivotal/RabbitMQ