[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ: Erlang machine stopped instantly (distribution name conflict?) on Windows

Daniel Katz daniekatz at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 10:16:58 BST 2014


Just spent a better half of the day troubleshooting a problem caused by *Unicode 
characters in my Windows User name*, which become part of the RABBITMQ_BASE 
path, and resulted in the following misleading error: 
*RabbitMQ: Erlang machine stopped instantly (distribution name conflict?)*

After hours of searching the web i found several unanswered questions on 
the same issue dating back to 2010. On one of them, which members of the 
team were unable to replicate because the nature of the BUG that it is 
Then i found a post by a Russian blogger that described the problem, the 
cause and the solution: 

For the sake of all other non Latin language speakers that might encounter 
the same problem *I suggest to add this issue to 
the troubleshooting documentation*. And than, if possible fix the bug (or 

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.rabbitmq.com/pipermail/rabbitmq-discuss/attachments/20140608/5858fc74/attachment.html>

More information about the rabbitmq-discuss mailing list