[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ: Erlang machine stopped instantly (distribution name conflict?) on Windows

Daniel Katz daniekatz at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 10:16:58 BST 2014

Hi,

Just spent a better half of the day troubleshooting a problem caused by *Unicode
characters in my Windows User name*, which become part of the RABBITMQ_BASE
path, and resulted in the following misleading error:
*RabbitMQ: Erlang machine stopped instantly (distribution name conflict?)*

After hours of searching the web i found several unanswered questions on
the same issue dating back to 2010. On one of them, which members of the
team were unable to replicate because the nature of the BUG that it is
environment-dependent.
Then i found a post by a Russian blogger that described the problem, the
cause and the solution:
*http://plus-odin.blogspot.co.il/2013/04/erlang-machine-stopped-instantly-code.html*

For the sake of all other non Latin language speakers that might encounter
the same problem *I suggest to add this issue to
the troubleshooting documentation*. And than, if possible fix the bug (or
limitation).

Thanks,