[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ Installation Question

Wesley Cutting Wesley.Cutting at amx.com
Tue Jun 3 15:30:44 BST 2014

To whom it may concern,

I have a technical question regarding the installation of RabbitMQ and enabling the RabbitMQ Management Tools. I achieve a successful install and enablement by running the provided RabbitMQ installer and running the plugin batch file found in the sbin folder independently. I am attempting to install RabbitMQ as a dependency for my application, currently it is bundled with Advanced Installer and runs as it normally would (not silently, with the installation dialog). As part of our RabbitMQ installation we have also bundled the Erlang dependency, that runs before RabbitMQ. After bundling the RabbitMQ exe into Advanced Installer I wrote a small C# app to programmatically execute the plugin batch file and restart RabbitMQ (for some reason Advanced Installer won't let you directly run a batch file). I have verified that the exe works by running it separately from Advanced Installer after it has installed RabbitMQ and its process has ended. The issue I am running into is when I attempt to bundle my personal exe with Advanced Installer. The plugin batch file does not enable the management tools, instead it states that the Erlang Home is not set correctly, which doesn't make sense to me because I thought that the RabbitMQ installation consumed that same environment variable. I have also encountered this problem when working with WIX as our installer technology so I know it is not a problem with Advanced Installer. The best I can surmise is that RabbitMQ and the plugin batch file cannot be run in the same process for whatever reason. Can you either confirm my suspicions or point in the direction of a potential work around?

Thank you,

Wes Cutting   |   Software Engineer
AMX Worldwide | 3000 Research Drive Richardson TX 75082 | 800-222-0193 ext. 7751

The above message is confidential and intended only for the use of the person to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format.