[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq cluster startup problem

Ramesh Natarajan ramesh25 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 15:51:08 BST 2014

We are currently running a rabbitmq cluster running on RHEL 6.5 64 bit os,
comprising of 10 nodes. We use the auto-configuration for the cluster where
the first node doesn't have any cluster_nodes specified in the
rabbitmq.config and all other nodes have just the first node specified in
the cluster_nodes.  I bring up the first node and then the rest of the
nodes.  I see the cluster is setup correctly and things seem to work fine.

However occasionally when the nodes reboot I see the startup hangs in
Starting rabbitmq-cluster. It seems to hang forever and doesn't timeout or
anything.  In some cases we have left the system for a couple of hours and
it doesn't seem to timeout, suggesting the system is in a deadlock or
something.  A reset of the node in the hung state sometimes recovers and
sometimes it doesn't.

The strange part is I cannot reproduce this at will but it happens
nevertheless.

Has anyone seen this behavior?

Is specifying the cluster_nodes the way I described is the correct way to
do so?

I would appreciate if anyone has any suggestions on how to deal with this
issue..

Thanks
Ramesh

 {running_applications,[{rabbit,"RabbitMQ","3.3.1"},
                        {os_mon,"CPO  CXC 138 46","2.2.7"},
                        {xmerl,"XML parser","1.2.10"},
                        {mnesia,"MNESIA  CXC 138 12","4.5"},
                        {sasl,"SASL  CXC 138 11","2.1.10"},
                        {stdlib,"ERTS  CXC 138 10","1.17.5"},
                        {kernel,"ERTS  CXC 138 10","2.14.5"}]},
 {os,{unix,linux}},
 {erlang_version,"Erlang R14B04 (erts-5.8.5) [source] [64-bit] [smp:4:4]
[rq:4] [async-threads:30] [kernel-poll:true]\n"},