[rabbitmq-discuss] 100,000+ connections

Chris Eineke ceineke at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 03:51:18 GMT 2014

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to find out what broker setup could support 100,000+ concurrent
clients with 20-30 queues per client, with numbers steadily increasing over
time. We would be sending mostly small messages (max. 4KiB, non-binary). One
pitfall is that clients aren't guaranteed to be online 100% of the time, so
we have to be able to deal with issues related to intermittent connectivity.

So far my idea is to install a RabbitMQ broker on each client and use the
federation plugin to connect the client-side brokers to the server-side
broker/cluster. Has RabbitMQ been exercised with a large number of
federated queues/exchanges? Has anybody reported their configuration
settings and performance numbers with related set-ups?

Best regards,
  Chris