[rabbitmq-discuss] Advice on runing mutiple rabbitmq instances in one machine

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Mon Feb 17 13:17:03 GMT 2014

On 17/02/2014 08:18, Michael Klishin wrote:
> <mailto:tlhuang at 800best.com>>:
>
>     I have a very strong machine with SSD, 64G Mem,32 core CPU, but lots
>     of applications want MQ. It seems I have two options, 1. One MQ
>     instance with more than 9 virtual hosts, or 2.serveral MQ instances,
>     each has about 3 virtual hosts. And I hope there is isolation
>     between those virtual hosts or MQ instances. Could someone advice
>     with option is best, or is there any other option I can choose?
>
> I'd start with just one instance, raise VM watermark, and maybe tweak
> Erlang VM options to have more schedulers (as you have quite a few cores).

You should not need to manually increase the number of schedulers; the
Erlang VM should figure that out on startup.

> What kind of isolation are you looking for? If you need to isolate apps
> from one another this is what vhosts are for.

Virtual hosts give a security isolation - they don't do much to enforce
any sort of performance isolation though. Although running multiple
brokers on the same OS doesn't give you much more in that case, one
instance can still eat all the memory, CPU, network bandwidth and disk
space.

So yes, depends what you want.

Cheers, Simon