[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ - Is there a way to go back to old messages in a queue

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Mon Feb 10 13:35:58 GMT 2014

On 10/02/14 13:32, rails wrote:
> Lets say my consumer acked and due to some strange reason did not handle
> the message well. Is there a technic to go over message again?

Your consumer should not ack messages until it has handled them - that's
what explicit acking is for; not just to say "I got this message" but "I
got this message and have handled it".

> Requirements :
> 1. same order.
> 2. continue receiving new messages and placing them last in the queue?

Unacked messages are returned to the queue in order. So your consumer
will always receive messages in order, regardless of failures, as long as:

* It is the only consumer on the queue
* It always acknowledges messages in order

That will making acking behave the same as moving the consumer index
thing back in kafka.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen