[rabbitmq-discuss] multiple message listeners on a single reply queue

Gary Russell grussell at gopivotal.com
Thu Feb 6 18:22:17 GMT 2014

You cannot share reply queues across instances; unlike JMS, AMQP has no
notion of a message selector to choose messages from a queue, so each
instance needs its own reply queue.

When the reply goes to the wrong instance, the originating instance thread
will be suspended for (default) 5 seconds (modifiable by setting
replyTimeout).

You can increase throughput by increasing the concurrency on the listener
containers.

The upcoming 1.3 release of spring-AMQP allows the concurrency to vary on
demand; with 1.2.x you have to stop/start the container to change the
concurrency.