[rabbitmq-discuss] MQTT adapter for RabbitMQ

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Tue Feb 4 09:16:58 GMT 2014

Hi,

On 04/02/14 09:06, pkbasu wrote:
> I have a question on MQTT adapter of RabbitMQ. Are clients (e.g. android/ios
> devices) expected to directly connect to this adapter? In our architecture,
> client devices connect to our frontend servers, which connect to RabbitMQ
> brokers. This way, the client devices do not need to know the details of
> exchanges, brokers, routes etc. However, with the MQTT broker plugin, it
> looks like client devices are encouraged to connect to RabbitMQ directly. Is
> an alternate architecture possible?

MQTT clients are permitted to connect directly to the adapter. MQTT
clients do not normally need to know about the names of exchanges or
routes. The MQTT adapter only uses one exchange. This is the more common
approach of the two that you sketch.

It is also permitted for clients to connect via a front-end server if
that makes things easier for you. The front-end server would need to use
one of the supported protocols when connecting to RabbitMQ.

We encourage you to use the approach that suits the problem at hand.

Emile