[rabbitmq-discuss] Core Dump when /proc is not mounted (chroot)

Yanis Guenane yguenane at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 16:43:14 BST 2014

Hi list,

Today I tried to install rabbitmq-server on a debian chroot running on
fedora and it crashed during package installation.

This was due to the fact that my chroot did not have its /proc mounted.
After mouting the host /proc to the chroot /proc I could install
rabbitmq-server just fine.
Before getting to this conclusion it took me a moment, not having any
helpful information from the stack trace.

I was wondering if this situation could be improved, by checking if /proc
is mounted else reporting that it should be mounted ?

#
# For reproduction purpose
#
root at fedora:/ # mkdir /tmp/debian && cd /tmp
root at fedora:/tmp # debootstrap --no-check-gpg --arch ${ARCH:=amd64}
--variant=minbase wheezy debian/ http://http.debian.net/debian
root at fedora:/tmp # chroot debian
root at debian:/ # apt-get install rabbitmq-server
Starting message broker: rabbitmq-serverFAILED - check
/var/log/rabbitmq/startup_\{log, _err\} ... (warning).
 failed!
root at debian:/ # exit
root at fedora:/tmp # mount -t proc proc debian/proc
root at debian:/ # apt-get install rabbitmq-server
Starting message broker: rabbitmq-server.
root at debian:/ #

Hope it helps,

--
Yanis Guenane