[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ HA set up not working as expected

Jerry Kuch jkuch at gopivotal.com
Wed Apr 23 17:50:26 BST 2014

Please consult the documentation on HA via mirrored queues at:

http://www.rabbitmq.com/ha.html

One wants to be careful about how one uses the term "high availability."
 Normally a queue will reside on only one node of a cluster, and its
availability will be subject to the health of that node.  HA via mirrored
queues allows you to specify that a queue or queues will be replicated on
more than one node of a cluster, thereby guarding against failure of what
would otherwise be a single node holding the queue.

So do you want to mirror all queues?  Maybe, but it depends on your actual
requirements.
HA via mirrored queues, as the above link explains, isn't a switch one
throws once on the cluster and walks away from, ticking off a box on one's
checklist marked "High Availability: Done."

If you want to guard against message loss in the presence of failures,
there are other things your applications will have to think about,
particularly around the transfer of responsibility for messages as they
pass in and out of the broker, whether by using a proper acknowledgement
discipline with consumers, using publisher confirms on the producer side,
or using transactions, and handling the various failure notifications that
can happen when a connection or cluster node go down, potentially
retransmitting on demand, being prepared to see a duplicated message under
certain failure syndromes, etc.  These issues are all discussed in the
above link.

Best regards,
Jerry