[rabbitmq-discuss] Clustering and scaling

lepolac lepolac at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 20:02:16 BST 2014

Hello,

I have a question regarding how clustering helps to scale.
In a context where you mainly have clustered queues with sync policy,
everything must hit the master first to get then propagated to the rest of
the cluster.
One can then see the master as the bottleneck.

If I have a total of X connections, with a total of Y msg/s, am I really
better of with let's say 5 nodes (so X/5 connections/node et Y/5 msg/s/node
assuming we're in an ideal world....) compared to one node ?

I'm not talking about the resiliency side of things which is pretty obvious.
To sum up, can clustering be considered as more than adding resiliency and
help to scale up, or is exchange federation a better option for this ?

Regards