[rabbitmq-discuss] Windows RabbitMQ Cluster

Wouter Bosland wbosland.prive at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 15:24:07 BST 2014

Hello everyone,

I have 2 virtual machines running Windows 7 with RabbitMQ 3.3.0 (firewall
off) and followed this tutorial:

https://www.rabbitmq.com/clustering.html

This is what I did:

1. start rabbitmq-server on both machines

2. stop rabbitmq-server on machine 2 (slave) using: rabbitmqctl stop

3. copy the .erlang.cookie from machine 1 (master) to machine 2 (slave)

4. start rabbitmq-server again on machine 2 (slave) with the new cookie

5. run the command: "rabbitmqctl stop_app" on machine 2 (slave)

6. run the command: ''rabbitmqctl join_cluster rabbit at master'' on machine 2
(slave)

Clustering node 'rabbit at WIN-PK8SONHOIBH' with rabbit at master ...
Error: unable to connect to nodes [rabbit at master]: nodedown

DIAGNOSTICS
===========

attempted to contact: [rabbit at master]

rabbit at master:
  * found rabbit (port 25672)
  * TCP connection succeeded
  * suggestion: hostname mismatch?
  * suggestion: is the cookie set correctly?

current node details:
- node name: 'rabbitmqctl2665551 at WIN-PK8SONHOIBH'
- home dir: C:\Users\RabbitMQ2
- cookie hash: *zF3bJzufFyuGd7zyNAb0UQ==*

*If I try the other way around clustering master to slave I get:*

Clustering node 'rabbit at WIN-2BQPAJ1S03R' with rabbit at slave ...
Error: unable to connect to nodes [rabbit at slave]: nodedown

DIAGNOSTICS
===========

attempted to contact: [rabbit at slave]

rabbit at slave:
  * found rabbit (port 25672)
  * TCP connection succeeded
  * suggestion: hostname mismatch?
  * suggestion: is the cookie set correctly?

current node details:
- node name: 'rabbitmqctl2366873 at WIN-2BQPAJ1S03R'
- home dir: C:\Users\RabbitMQ1
- cookie hash: *zF3bJzufFyuGd7zyNAb0UQ==*

*The cookie hash is the same so what could be the problem?*