[rabbitmq-discuss] reciving duplicate messages

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Fri Apr 18 09:44:31 BST 2014

On 18/04/14 09:33, Michael Klishin wrote:
> On 18 April 2014 at 11:43:51, Petar Georgiev
> (petar.georgie at gmail.com) wrote:
>>> I'm using mirrored rabbit mq servers. Sometimes on high load
>> i recive duplicate massage - with same delivery tag. I would like
>> to know what is the reason for recieving duplicate messages? When
>> acknowledge a message twice i got shut down signal and the consumer
>> is disconected. Is there some good practice for this situation?
>
> Applications need to be prepared to handle redeliveries because they
> are inevitable in certain scenarios that involve consumer and node
> failures. Redelivered messages have “redelivered” property set to
> true on them.

However, you should certainly not receive multiple messages with the
same delivery tag *on the same channel*. The odds of the RabbitMQ server
having a bug in this regard are close to zero; most likely there is a
bug in your application code that conflates deliveries from multiple
channels, possibly after a reconnection.

Matthias.