[rabbitmq-discuss] Introducing the RabbitMQ Sharding Plugin

Jason McIntosh mcintoshj at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 21:07:34 BST 2014

Off hand, this new exchange looks pretty interesting.  We sorta do sharding
via x-consistent-hashses right now.  It does require more manual work/setup
to do it, but it works quite well for our setup.  This though looks like
it'd make things much simpler - particularly on the consumer side!  A few
things I wanted to check on though:
  Shoveling config - we use shovel to publish from a bunch of "cloud"
rabbit's to a central server.  We "shard" our queues to get around WAN
latency.  SO I'd be curious how this will operate with shovels.  I'm
assuming just like any other consumer - e.g. "amqp://@localhost", consume
from queue "images"?
  The one thing I didn't see in the post was how many consumers you'd
need.  It sounds like you'd need at least N consumers where N is the number
of nodes in the shard?  With the shoveling config, we'd need to dynamically
grow consumers to adapt to the cluster size it sounds like.

Just a few thoughts right now - the consumer side is where I've got some
concerns on how this would work,
Jason

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 10:17 AM, Gavin M. Roy <gavinmroy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Looks great, looks like I have to update another chapter ;-)
>
> On April 10, 2014 at 10:49:51 AM, Alvaro Videla (videlalvaro at gmail.com)
> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> We have just released the RabbitMQ Sharding Plugin:
>
> The plugin allows you to partition messages across sharded queues.
> Adding new nodes to the cluster, automatically scales the shard size.
>
> Learn more here: https://github.com/rabbitmq/rabbitmq-sharding
>
> Any kind of feedback or questions about the plugin is welcomed.
>
> Regards,
>
> Alvaro

Jason McIntosh
https://github.com/jasonmcintosh/