[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq-c memory leak?

Dushin Fred fred at dushin.net
Fri Apr 4 01:19:31 BST 2014

I have written a simple test program using the SimpleAqmpClient library (which in turn uses the rabbitmq-c library), which seems to illustrate a memory leak, of sorts.

The program is a simple main, which pre-allocates a string message, and then calls BasicPublish on a channel in a loop, all single threaded.  Effectively:

        auto envelope = BasicMessage::Create(random_data(message_size));
        for (unsigned i = 0;  i < num_messages;  ++i)
        {
            channel->BasicPublish(exchange_name, routing_key, envelope);
        }

The problem is that the memory image of this process seems to grow without bounds.  The memory all seems to be allocated in amqp_pool_alloc (as expected), when calling wait_frame_inner -> amqp_handle_input.  The memory is not orphaned -- i.e., it seems to get cleaned up at shutdown, so it doesn't show up as a leak in a leak detector tool, such a Instruments/DTrace, or valgrind, or purify, etc.  But I don't see where the memory is every de-allocated, which will spell doom for an application that is designed to never terminate.

I am attaching a screenshot from an Instruments run, to give some context.  The code is here:

https://github.com/fadushin/sandbox/blob/master/cpp/rabbitmq/sender.cpp

This was run against RabbitMQ 3.2.4, using rabbitmq-c 0.5.0 and SimpleAmqpClient 2.3, compiled using Clang 5.0 on OS X.9 (Mavericks).

Has anyone seen this behavior?  Am I missing something in my use of BasicPublish, that is not telling the rabbitmq-c library to free memory in the "amqp pool"?  It doesn't seem to make a difference whether I am actively pulling messages off the queue from a separate process, or even whether there is a queue bound to the exchange to which I am publishing messages.  (Not that I would expect it to)

-Fred

encl.