[rabbitmq-discuss] Determining home node for queue

Paul Bowsher paul.bowsher at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 20:12:57 BST 2013

Hi,

We currently run a two-node cluster with mirrored queues. We see a huge
drop-off in throughput when our publishers or consumers connect to the
non-home node for the queue. This was also confirmed outside of production
with two fresh Vagrant VMs on both CentOS and Ubuntu, see
gist https://gist.github.com/boffbowsh/6675281 and the Java Client
MulticastMain example. Do others see this behaviour? We see this being
easily mitigated by always connecting to the home node for the queue, and
failing over if the home node goes down. However, we haven't yet been able
to think of a nice clean way of ensuring clients always connect to this. We
do have a dynamic LB at our disposal so we can create a sort of floating IP
if that's easiest.

Does anyone have any experience of this sort of setup in production, and
can they provide any tips?

Many thanks,

Paul Bowsher
Senior Engineer