[rabbitmq-discuss] Proper process to change erlang cookie?

Alvaro Videla videlalvaro at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 23:16:29 BST 2013

The Erlang cookie belongs to each particular user on your machines.
The cookie can be found on ~/.erlang.cookie and you need to have the same
value there for every node in the cluster.

start_app stops the Rabbit application inside the Erlang VM but the VM has
to be running for that to work.

stop_app will stop the rabbit app, but not the Erlang VM

rabbitmq-server takes care of preparing the env parameters and starting the
Erlang VM to then run RabbitMQ on it.

Regards,

Alvaro