[rabbitmq-discuss] Strange behaviour of RabbitMQ or client when network problems occurs

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Thu Sep 12 13:26:53 BST 2013

On 12/09/13 13:11, Haster wrote:
> so I can't guarantee that if I send basic_ack I won't send it again?

There's no 'ack' for an 'ack', so indeed you generally cannot guarantee
that the server has seen an ack. There are ways around that, e.g. you
could put the channel in transactional mode, in which case the commit-ok
response serves an 'ack for the ack'. But that seriously impacts
performance and doesn't address the broader issue of dealing with
duplicates (which are unavoidable).

> And duplicated messages I have to throw out on application level?

Yes. I'm assuming you've read http://www.rabbitmq.com/reliability.html

Matthias.