[rabbitmq-discuss] Rabbit connections dying from protected enviornment

Jason McIntosh mcintoshj at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 15:40:58 BST 2013

The F5 load balancers (LTMs) by default do a reset on time out at 300
seconds.
http://support.f5.com/kb/en-us/solutions/public/7000/600/sol7606.html

If you look, the TCP and Fast L4 profiles both default idle timeout at 300
seconds.  The LTM is their "Local Traffic Manager" - I'm not actually sure
about their other products.  Their GTM's are just dns providers so nothing
there.  But I THINK their firewalls have some of the same timeouts.  Note
the "LTM"'s are pretty equivalent to HAProxy.  On crack.  The GTM's are
sorta like BIND - again on crack :)

Jason

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 9:13 AM, Michael Klishin <mklishin at gopivotal.com>wrote:

> On 25 Oct 2013, at 17:54, Jason McIntosh <mcintoshj at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > We hit the same kinda things with the F5's.  The F5's work more as a
> proxy and not a router so the basic TCP FastL4 connection profile does a
> reset on an idle connection at a default of 5 minutes.
>
> Jason,
>
> Do you know if there is a widely used default timeout for F5’s? Or only
> specific models use the 5 minute value?
>
> Thanks.
>
> MK

Jason McIntosh