[rabbitmq-discuss] Rabbit connections dying from protected enviornment

Jason McIntosh mcintoshj at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 14:54:11 BST 2013

We hit the same kinda things with the F5's.  The F5's work more as a proxy
and not a router so the basic TCP FastL4 connection profile does a reset on
an idle connection at a default of 5 minutes.  We added a new F5 FastL4
profile for 10 minute resets and upgraded to the rabbit 3 release that
added heartbeat support, and a lot of our issues went away.  Note you'd
only see the issue if there was 0 traffic going through, e.g. no messages
being published.  We have a lot of servers set to shovel to a centralized
location and some of our remote nodes weren't publishing regularly - turns
out we saw very regular (5 minute intervals) disconnects on the log files.

I would recommend tweaking your connection settings.  For example, the f5's
don't have a default protocol handler for AMQP, so we had  to use TCP
handling.

Jason

Jason McIntosh
https://github.com/jasonmcintosh/