[rabbitmq-discuss] Creating a rabbitmq.config for federation

Tim Watson tim at rabbitmq.com
Wed Oct 23 09:41:28 BST 2013

Take a look at https://github.com/rabbitmq/rabbitmq-server/blob/master/docs/rabbitmq.config.example#L199.

>  Also, if you put your cluster config into rabbitmq.config  on both nodes to be clustered, will they automatically set the correct /var/lib/rabbitmq/.erlang.cookie or must that step still be done manually?

Setting the correct cookie is a step that must be undertaken by a server/host administrator. RabbitMQ in fact does nothing with regards the erlang cookie file. The erlang runtime system looks for this in the home directory of the user that starts the emulator, and the rabbit startup scripts typically run as the `rabbitmq` user.

HTH!

Tim