[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq 3.1.5 cluster auto-configuration not working

Tim Watson tim at rabbitmq.com
Wed Oct 16 15:14:53 BST 2013

Hi Ben,

On 8 Oct 2013, at 17:50, Ben Hidalgo wrote:
> I'm having trouble resetting.
>
> One node1, I can stop_app/start_app but reset gives:
> Error: {timeout_waiting_for_tables,[rabbit_user,rabbit_user_permission,
>                                     rabbit_vhost,rabbit_durable_route,
>                                     rabbit_durable_exchange,
>                                     rabbit_runtime_parameters,
>                                     rabbit_durable_queue]}
>
> On node2, I can stop_app/start_app but reset gives:
> Resetting node rabbit at testrabbit02 ...
> Error: {no_running_cluster_nodes,"You cannot leave a cluster if no online nodes are present."}

If you've reset node1, then it will no longer be considered part of the cluster by node2. I have to admit that I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to achieve here - the original post seemed to be about auto-config, which as Simon mentioned is something that gets applied when the node(s) first start.

> What is the sequence for cleanly reinitializing Rabbit and Erlang on a two node cluster?

What do you mean by reinitializing? Are we talking about reset (which clears out all persistent storage) or joining/leaving a cluster?

> I'm trying to setup a production config with Chef.  If you've used it, Chef requires idempotency and strongly prefers file based management.  Could you recommend any "Rabbit + Chef" tutorials or best practices?  I'm familiar with the OpsCode cookbook.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with any tutorials in this space. If you come across any useful ones, please feel free to post back and let us know!

Cheers,
Tim