[rabbitmq-discuss] Determining Cause of Flow-Control Invocation

Michael Klishin michael at rabbitmq.com
Fri Oct 4 19:23:43 BST 2013

On oct 4, 2013, at 9:58 p.m., Richard Raseley <richard at raseley.com> wrote:

> Will you expand more on your statement "[I]t's a little more complicated than '1 queue per core'."?

You get one Erlang process per queue. Those are scheduled to run in one or more
run queues (VM queues, nothing to do with RabbitMQ queues). Recent Erlang VM
versions detect how many cores are available on start and create a new run queue
per core.

How scheduling is performed (that is, how processes are given time to run
and distributed between run queues) is not so trivial to explain and varies between
SMP and non-SMP systems, see

http://jlouisramblings.blogspot.ru/2013/01/how-erlang-does-scheduling.html

for a fairly concise and approachable overview.

MK