[rabbitmq-discuss] Determining Cause of Flow-Control Invocation

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Fri Oct 4 15:55:58 BST 2013

On 04/10/2013 3:40PM, Richard Raseley wrote:
> So, my question is - what other things can I look at to determine the
> cause of the invocation of flow control. Additional relevant information
> is as follows:

Each queue can only use 100% of one core, so it is possible to hit flow
control without using 100% CPU of all cores (if everything goes through
one queue).

Also: queues with transient messages can start to page to disc if there
is any memory pressure. This is not very easy to observe in current
releases (we aim to make it clearer), but you can look at
backing_queue_status in rabbitmqctl and the HTTP API - if ram_msg_count
+ ram_ack_count != messages then the queue is paging.

This is definitely an area where we aim to improve things. 3.2.0 will
already make paging rather easier to observe and control.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, Pivotal