[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ second-time message delivery after service restart

Thilo-Alexander Ginkel thilo at ginkel.com
Mon Nov 25 10:37:53 GMT 2013

Hello everyone,

over the weekend we encountered a strange RabbitMQ issue, for which we are
still trying to figure out what happened and why it happened. Our setup
uses a single RabbitMQ instance (version 2.8.1), which serves a bunch of
queues, most of which are persistent.

The RabbitMQ instance was running since May 2013 during which it processed
> 250.000 messages without any issues. Over the weekend we had to restart
our servers. After the server hosting the RabbitMQ instance came back up,
RabbitMQ all of a sudden started re-delivering all messages that were
processed in one of our persistent queues since May.

AFAIK, all messages had been properly ACKed before, so effectively RabbitMQ
delivered these messages twice. They seem to be sitting
in /var/lib/rabbitmq/mnesia/rabbit@<server>/msg_store_persistent, though,
which is around 0.5 GB in size on the affected server.

Any idea what may have happened?

Thanks,
Thilo