[rabbitmq-discuss] Excessive RabbitMQ memory consumption

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Thu Nov 21 12:11:22 GMT 2013

On 21/11/13 02:47, Matt Pietrek wrote:
> The management database at 1.3GB seems excessive.

To add to what Michael said: yes, this is excessive. Almost certainly
one of the leaks we've fixed since 3.0.2.

As a rule of thumb I would expect the management DB to take about as
much memory as Mnesia. Certainly within an order of magnitude anyway.

I'm reluctant to get into tracking down exactly which old bug you are
seeing :-) but there were definitely leaks in 3.0.2 such that:

* Connection and channel data was never cleaned up for nodes that crashed

* Consumer records might not be cleaned up

* Fine stats were issued for queue slaves and never cleaned up even when
the queue was deleted

If you can't upgrade, in addition to the suggestions Michael made
(increase the stats interval or disable the management plugin) there's a
halfway house: disable fine stats collection
(http://previous.rabbitmq.com/v3_0_x/management.html#fine-stats). This
will stop you seeing message rates but will prevent some of those leaks.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, Pivotal