[rabbitmq-discuss] migrate configuration during upgrade

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Fri Nov 15 17:41:03 GMT 2013

On 15/11/2013 17:31, John Cartwright - NOAA Federal wrote:
> we're upgrading from 3.0.2 to 3.2.1 and I'm looking for a recommendation
> on migrating the configuration from the older version to the new one.
>   Can I simply copy the $RABBITMQ_MNESIA_DIR to the new install area? Am
> I better off to re-create the users, exchanges, virtual hosts, queues, etc.?

Normally RABBITMQ_MNESIA_DIR doesn't change across upgrades, so I assume
you're installing manually and to a different location.

But yes, the data dir will be upgraded automatically the first time
3.2.1 starts up. There are a couple of provisos:

1) You can't go back
2) There are some provisos with clusters, see
http://www.rabbitmq.com/clustering.html#upgrading

Cheers, Simon