[rabbitmq-discuss] Queue Weird State in RMQ 3.2.1

Jonathan Cua jcua at eventbrite.com
Fri Nov 8 17:25:26 GMT 2013

I am using Rabbitmq 3.2.1 on Ubuntu 12.04. I have a 2-node cluster setup.

In the Queues tab, I see this in on one the queue.

But when I click on this queue, I would see this.

Then when I publish a message to this queue, it would get consumed and everything would go back to 0. There is nothing in the logs or sasl.log about this. So, I am wondering what this is. Also, this issue did not exist in RabbitMQ 2.8.7.

I was able to reproduce this issue. It looks like when the queue gets idle (eg. no message is sent/consumed) for exactly 1 hour, it changes from 0 to '?'.

Here is how to reproduce this.

1. Create a queue either through the UI or an ampq client (I used the pika python module).
2. Publish one message to the queue.
3. Wait for 1 hour then you will see the message go from 0 to '?'.
4. If you publish another message to this queue, it will go back to 0 again.

Thanks,
Jonathan