[rabbitmq-discuss] Messages BasicReject-ed or BasicNack-ed are back in the queue after restarting RabbitMQ service

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Wed Nov 6 10:23:26 GMT 2013

There was a bug fixed in 2.8.2 (bug 24863) described in the changelog as:

- memory leak on basic.reject{requeue = false}

However, looking at it again (just a skim-reading admittedly) I suspect
it might conceivably permit persistent nacked messages to come back to
life after a server restart.

So I think an upgrade is advised.

Cheers, Simon

On 05/11/13 13:52, JohanKlijn wrote:
> We are using RabbitMQ 2.8.1 using C#. We have a queue with durable messages.
> When we Acknowledge a message, channel.BasicAck(deliveryTag, false), and
> restart the RabbitMQ service the message acknowledge is will not appear any
> more in the queue, as expected.
>
> Now when we negative acknowledge a message, like this:
>
> channel.BasicNack(deliveryTag, false, false);
> or
> channel.BasicReject(deliveryTag, false);
>
> and restart the service the messages negative acknowledged are back.
> When I look at the status of the queue before the restart using:
> rabbitmqctl list_queues name messages_ready messages_unacknowledged
> There are no messages to be acknowledge and the NumberOfMessages =
> NumberOfMessageBeforeNegAck – NegAckMessages. And after the restart the
> NumberOfMessages = NumberOfMessageBeforeNegAck.
>

> --

Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, Pivotal