[rabbitmq-discuss] Stomp, subscriptions, and forward slashes

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Tue Nov 5 09:14:57 GMT 2013

Hi,

On 04/11/13 22:35, Brennan Sellner wrote:

> https://github.com/sockjs/sockjs-protocol/issues/74 makes it clear that
> SockJS (at least) doesn't yet support binary payloads.  What's not clear
> to me is whether rabbitmq_web_stomp does: is it worth fiddling around
> with SockJS replacements, or should I just bite the bullet and add a
> relay to re-encode everything going to and from the browser as base64?

The rabbitmq-stomp plugin can deal with arbitrary binary payloads as
required by the STOMP specification. rabbitmq-web-stomp is  thin layer
that passes arbitrary binary data back & forth without interpreting it,
so it should have no problem dealing with invalid UTF8.

I'm not sure whether base64-encoding is the best solution. It depends on
how much control you have over the browser and which SockJS transport is
selected.

-Emile