[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ 3.1.0 lost messages and autoheal failures when recovering from cluster partition

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Fri May 31 17:32:57 BST 2013

Hi. The behaviour you describe doesn't really match what I would expect
to see. In the beginning of a partition I would expect:

1) Partition starts

2) Things behave slowly for approximately net_ticktime (see
http://www.rabbitmq.com/partitions.html#net_ticktime) as nodes attempt
to contact each other and time out

3) On each node, Erlang decides the other nodes are down. Things speed
up again, HA queues fail over. Split-brain has begun.

It sounds like you were stuck in 2) for an extended period of time. Have
you changed net_ticktime?

Alternatively, when testing partitions I have see really odd behaviour
by blocking network traffic in one direction only with iptables. You
might want to check if you've done that by mistake.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, Pivotal