[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ is crashing for seemingly no reason

chriskoding chris at koding.com
Wed May 29 22:27:12 BST 2013

Hello —

I am experimenting with an E2E topology not different than the one described
in example 2 of this blog post:
http://www.rabbitmq.com/blog/2010/10/19/exchange-to-exchange-bindings/

I went ahead and created 1M exchanges, several million E2E bindings and
bound 100K queues, and subscribed 100K consumers—1 per queue.  This on an
EC2 instance with 17GB of RAM.  My topology is consuming about 5.6GB of RAM.
I published several hundred thousand messages to 100K various exchanges in
the topology, as a test. This worked fine, let's say.

But for whatever reason, I can't keep this Rabbit from crashing.  It seems
to crash when "idle", mind you, this enormous topology in memory.  Once it
happened after only about 5min.  Another time it idled fine for a few hours,
before finally crashing.

The log seemed mostly benign.  The salient part: http://d.pr/n/2Ifn

Any idea why this might happen?  Tips appreciated.

Best,
Chris