[rabbitmq-discuss] Trace Plugin

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Tue May 28 13:24:39 BST 2013

On 28/05/13 13:12, Jeffery, Mark wrote:
> The trace plugin is still listed as “experimental”.
>
> Would anyone be willing to confirm its readiness for use in a production
> environment ?

We are not planning any major work on it in the foreseeable future.
We haven't received many bug reports or feature requests since releasing
it. Which could mean either the plug-in works perfectly, or it doesn't
get used much, or both :) Take your pick.

> Another thing that I would just like to confirm :
>
> Even if the tracing plugin is disabled, the command parameters trace_on
> and trace_off are still available to be passed to rabbitmqctl, they will
> just have no effect ?

As the description of rabbitmq_tracing says... it "Adds message tracing
to the management plugin. Logs messages from the firehose in a couple of
formats.". So the actual tracing is done by the firehose
(http://www.rabbitmq.com/firehose.html), and that's what 'rabbitmqctl
trace_{on,off}' controls. Hence even without the rabbitmq_tracing
plug-in, there is a cost to running with tracing enabled.

Regards,

Matthias.