[rabbitmq-discuss] Naming RabbitMQ nodes with complete domain names

Santiago Ezcurra sezcurra at gmail.com
Fri May 24 00:37:17 BST 2013

Hi there.....I know this is old thread, but I'm having the same
problem.....the thing is that I'm trying to build a cluster on amazon ec2.
there, there is no domain and the machines only have a hostname of the form
ip-0-0-0-0. everything works fine for one node (and erlang starts with
-name rabbit at ip-x-x-x-x), but when i try to join cluster to another node,
there is no name resolution happening between both machines (other than
specifying mutually on respectives ec/hosts).
those machines does recognize the name *ip-x-x-x-x.ec2.internal*....but I'm
just failing to configure this name. When i tried specifying this long name
in NODENAME in env file, it's when erlang (or rabbitmq, don't know)
complains with "can't get short name whatever". and maybe it's because the
newer version, but I can't find where to change the -sname by -name in any
scripts.....could you please have any advice for me ??

Thanks !

Santiago.