[rabbitmq-discuss] 700k msgs using 6.3 GiB?

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Tue May 21 11:47:36 BST 2013

François,

On 17/05/13 16:03, François Beausoleil wrote:
> Le 2013-05-16 à 03:54, Matthias Radestock a écrit :
>> However, pretty much all garbage should get collected when the
>> system is idle. In particular, when there is no activity on a
>> queue, or any other Erlang processes in the message processing
>> pipeline, for a while then these processes are supposed to
>> hibernate, which entails reclaiming all garbage.
>
> Can you define "a while"?

A few seconds.

Note that Erlang gc operates *per Erlang process*, so the overall system
need not be idle for individual processes to hibernate.

> I have constant new interactions that come in. I can't really stop
> that to let garbage be collected.

You should not have to. Garbage collection still takes place on non-idle
processes. But depending on the exact usage profile it is conceivable
that a fair amount of garbage accumulates before a collection.

>> But to investigate that further we really need you on the latest
>> versions of rabbit and erlang.
>
> If we could have clusters on different minor versions, it would
> already be a help.

That ain't gonna happen, I'm afraid.

Regards,

Matthias.