[rabbitmq-discuss] After weekly log rotatation was done, the command "rabbitmqctl rotate-logs" never stop

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Thu May 16 13:07:57 BST 2013

Nate,

On 16/05/13 12:36, Nate wrote:
>         Yes, I ran it as root and nothing return to me.... However, when
> I use SIGABRT the process will be deleted. My OS is centos 5.5.

There must be something seriously wrong with that Erlang VM process if
it is not reacting to SIGUSR1.

I suggest you "walk up the call stack" of the ps output you posted
initially and manually run the log rotation commands, to check whether
any of them get stuck, e.g.

/bin/sh /usr/sbin/rabbitmqctl rotate_logs
/bin/sh /etc/init.d/rabbitmq-server rotate-logs
/bin/sh /sbin/service rabbitmq-server rotate-logs
sh -c ? /sbin/service rabbitmq-server rotate-logs > /dev/null? ?
(hmm, what's with those question marks? are they placeholders for
something?)
/usr/sbin/logrotate /etc/logrotate.conf
/bin/sh /etc/cron.daily/logrotate
/bin/bash /usr/bin/run-parts /etc/cron.daily

Matthias.