[rabbitmq-discuss] Problem with multiple consumers on multiple servers !

tluck tilak.chauhan at ymail.com
Sat Mar 30 14:28:31 GMT 2013

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your quick answer. Don't you think that if I increase prefetch
count then it may cause redundancy of  the same messages to more then one
consumer ? I mean the same message/job can be consumed by two or more
consumers at a time (I read it somewhere and may be I'm wrong). Suppose, if
I increase prefetch count to 10 then broker won't send messages to any of
the consumers (which are consuming messages from current queue)  until  all
10 messages are consumed ? right ? If yes, then how can we tackle the
problem which can be caused by all this. If one/two consumer(s) take too
long time to consume their messages then others will go idle (as they have
to wait others to finish their job).

If I have 20K messages and 10 consumers on a single queue then what would be
an ideal count for prefetch_count ?