[rabbitmq-discuss] SIGTERM

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Mon Mar 25 15:13:45 GMT 2013

On 25/03/13 15:06, Tim Watson wrote:
>> >Would like to replace the init.d
>> >script with a upstart script but not sure if rabbitmq will gracefully stop
>> >with a SIGTERM to the rabbitmq-server script? Or should I put "rabbitmqctl
>> >stop" as a "pre-stop" exec?
>> >
> I would strongly advise using `rabbitmqctl stop` instead of using SIGTERM.

Note in particular that "rabbitmqctl stop <pidfile>" will ensure that by
the time the rabbitmqctl invocation exits then the RabbitMQ server will
have shut down and the VM will have closed. SIGTERM would not give you
that even if we trapped it (and it's not obvious Erlang lets you do that...)

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, VMware