[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ crashes just after start...

David Buckingham David.Buckingham at cbeyond.net
Wed Mar 20 18:10:25 GMT 2013

> Does that file exist? If not then Make sure your ERLANG_HOME variable is
> set correctly. If it does exist then the problem probably relates to the NTFS
> 8.3 attributes for the VHD volume. Make sure 8.3 creation is not disabled.
> See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/121007/en-us

Fantastic!

The file did exist, and your link to the support article helped me to determine that 8.3 file naming was indeed disabled on the VM in question!  I compared the settings with the VM running the known working configuration, and sure enough the settings were opposite!

After enabling the 8.3 on this particular volume, I had to uninstall Erlang and RabbitMQ, and then delete the entire folder structure where they were installed (M:\Program Files\... and M:\Program Files (x86)\...)  No big deal, as these are the only apps installed on this volume.

Then, after re-installing both Erlang and RabbitMQ I found that the RabbitMQ service was indeed running!

Thank you so much for your help!  I would have never have found this.