[rabbitmq-discuss] Guidance on Using F5 Load Balancer with RabbitMQ

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Tue Mar 19 22:35:17 GMT 2013

Richard,

On 18/03/13 18:06, Richard Raseley wrote:
> Thank you for that information - I hadn't realized that was the case
> with HA queues. So, in our situation we may be better off configuring
> the load balanced pool to be Active / Passive so that messages will
> always be flowing directly to the node that is running the master queue
> process (thereby eliminating the intra-node network overhead)?

Probably, but not necessarily. Queues aren't the only entities
performing work. In particular the entire protocol handling, both
inbound and outbound, also takes a fair chunk of effort. And system
resources (memory, sockets). So while getting publishers and consumers
to connect to the 'home' node of a queue (*) saves an internode message
transfer, it does put more load on that node.

(*) if that is possible; in general a published message may get routed
to several queues, which may not all have the same home node.

Matthias.