[rabbitmq-discuss] Strange reaction to publishing message with invalid expiration.

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Tue Mar 19 15:13:34 GMT 2013

Hi James. Yes, the basicPublish() invocation is not guaranteed to throw
an exception, since it's not synchronous - the message may not have
reached the server (or even left the client) by the time the method
returns. An exception will get thrown at some point later. If you need
to ensure that you find out about errors immediately you can close the
channel (and create a new one), invoke any synchronous AMQP method
(almost anything apart from basic.publish), or wait for confirms.

Cheers, Simon

Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, VMware