[rabbitmq-discuss] Multiple connections performance

Tim Watson tim at rabbitmq.com
Wed Mar 6 09:10:24 GMT 2013

Hi Artur,

On 6 Mar 2013, at 08:30, rabbit15 wrote:
> Hi, I have question about channels and connections.
> Why flow control doesn't block channel instead of connection ?

Due to the limitations of the AMQP protocol, it can't be done on per-channel basis.

> My
> application performs the best when I'm using one connection per one channel.
> Why flow control of one channel degraded speed of other channels in the
> connection ?

Rabbit's flow control mechanism applies TCP back-pressure to producers to give the broker (and/or consumers) time to catch up. Doing it that way on a per-channel basis wouldn't work, because all the channels are multiplexed over a single TCP connection.

> What is the idea of using channels if I have to use connection
> per channel for optimal performance?

As the documentation points out...

<quote>
.. it is undesirable to keep many TCP connections open at the same time because doing so consumes system resources and makes it more difficult to 	configure firewalls..
</quote>

Cheers,
Tim