[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq networking error:: telnet result: servname not supported for ai_socktype.

Luis Rodriguez lrodriguez1995 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 26 14:22:55 BST 2013

Hi all,
I am a newbie having network connection issues while trying to setup rabbitmq in cluster mode
my setup is 3 centos vm's with rabbitmq-server-3.0.3 and erlang installed on them (host only network).
I am able to ping the three nodes and the initial testing works on single nodes but I cannot seem to communicate between nodes when I try to join a cluster.

> when I do rabbitctl join_cluster I get: rabbitmq
> Error:{cannot_discover_cluster,"the nodes provided are either offline
> or not running"}

My erland cookies are synchronized correctly but still facing this issue..
I disabled the firewalls of the three vm's and tried telnet.

my diagnostics show:
-localhost {rabbit1,12345}
and rabbit2:
-localhost{rabbit2,67890}

while inside rabbit1 I did:
# telnet rabbit2 [67890]

rabbit2 /[67890] : servname not supported for ai_socktype.

some tutorials show that I need to insert that port
 inside my etc/services  but I am kind of worried I'll break something else..
how do I proceed about this ?

thanks in advance...

Luis