[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq Error:{cannot_discover_cluster, "the nodes provided are either offline or not running"}

Luis Rodriguez lrodriguez1995 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 25 18:38:47 BST 2013

Hi all,
I am a newbie trying to figure out how clustering works.
I am running a windows host machine along with three vm's with centos 5.9 , rabbitmq-server-3.0.3, and erlang installed on all three nodes. (host only network, named them rabbit1 at localhost, rabbit2 at localhost, rabbit3 at localhost)

I was able to get all the nodes working (without any clustering), but so far all my clustering attempts have been unsuccessful.
(I am able to ping between nodes fine)
The only thing I have changed has been the addition of an init script (attached pic) to ensure rabbitmq starts automatically.

After reading the tutorials, I copied and pasted the erland cookie (I'd like to think I did it the correct way) to all the nodes(2 pics attached). the cookie hash however, doesn't change regardless of how many times I stop (rabbitmqctl stop) and start.. I don't really know what I'm missing.
In addition, I am able to run  rabbitmq-server -detached, rabbitmqctl cluster_status fine (and I do get the expected results) however, when I do rabbitctl join_cluster I get:

rabbitmq Error:{cannot_discover_cluster,"the nodes provided are either offline or not running"} ..and the rabbitmq management console always show a disc status as well..

please help....

any will be much appreciated.....