[rabbitmq-discuss] Error deleting vhost

austinnichols michael.dyer at digitaleragroup.com
Wed Jun 19 21:24:50 BST 2013

OK - I was able to figure this one out.  The solution wasn't easy, but may 
help someone in the future.

I believe the core problem was a partially/mis-configured federation setup. 

I exported my config to json, stopped RMQ then deleted (renamed .bad) the 
mnesia folder.  

When I restarted I re-imported my config and found that I had the same 
problem as before.  OK - it's something in the config...

I then went through the config json and CAREFULLY removed any references to 
my 'bad' vhost.  There were a few problem areas:

1.  Parameters node - several entries pertained to federation and when I 
went through the admin gui I couldn't remove the settings.  Deleted from 
the .json
2.  There were a couple of admin users with rights to the vHost that 
remained after the vhost was deleted.

I cleared out mnesia again, restarted, imported my json and I'm now up and 

I was also having a problem turning on tracing (rabbitmqctl trace_on -p 
myVhost) which would hang on this specific vhost.  Once I uploaded my clean 
config I was able to enable trace without issues.

On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:51:42 PM UTC-4, austinnichols wrote:
> Using RMQ 3.0.2 / Erlang R14B04
> I'm having difficulty deleting a specific vhost.  When attempting to 
> delete I receive the message below.  Other vhosts do not appear to have 
> this same issue.
> Would appreciate any guidance on where to start troubleshooting ...
> Delete this vhost
> HTTP APICommand LineUpdate  
> Last update: 2013-06-19 14:41:20
> Got response code 500 with body
> Internal Server Error
> The server encountered an error while processing this request:
> {throw,
>     {error,
>         {{badmatch,
>              {error_string,
>                  "Validation failed\n\nname not recognised: undefined\n"}},
>          [{rabbit_vhost,'-internal_delete/1-lc$^1/1-1-',2},
>           {rabbit_vhost,internal_delete,1},
>           {rabbit_vhost,'-delete/1-fun-0-',1},
>           {mnesia_tm,apply_fun,3},
>           {mnesia_tm,execute_transaction,5},
>           {rabbit_misc,'-execute_mnesia_transaction/1-fun-0-',1},
>           {worker_pool_worker,handle_call,3},
>           {gen_server2,handle_msg,2}]}},
>     [{rabbit_misc,execute_mnesia_transaction,1},
>      {rabbit_mgmt_wm_vhost,delete_resource,2},
>      {webmachine_resource,resource_call,3},
>      {webmachine_resource,do,3},
>      {webmachine_decision_core,resource_call,1},
>      {webmachine_decision_core,decision,1},
>      {webmachine_decision_core,handle_request,2},
>      {rabbit_webmachine,'-makeloop/1-fun-0-',2}]}
> mochiweb+webmachine web server
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.rabbitmq.com/pipermail/rabbitmq-discuss/attachments/20130619/f2259ca8/attachment-0001.htm>

More information about the rabbitmq-discuss mailing list