[rabbitmq-discuss] Error deleting vhost

austinnichols michael.dyer at digitaleragroup.com
Wed Jun 19 21:24:50 BST 2013

OK - I was able to figure this one out.  The solution wasn't easy, but may
help someone in the future.

I believe the core problem was a partially/mis-configured federation setup.

I exported my config to json, stopped RMQ then deleted (renamed .bad) the
mnesia folder.

When I restarted I re-imported my config and found that I had the same
problem as before.  OK - it's something in the config...

I then went through the config json and CAREFULLY removed any references to
my 'bad' vhost.  There were a few problem areas:

1.  Parameters node - several entries pertained to federation and when I
went through the admin gui I couldn't remove the settings.  Deleted from
the .json
2.  There were a couple of admin users with rights to the vHost that
remained after the vhost was deleted.

I cleared out mnesia again, restarted, imported my json and I'm now up and
running.

I was also having a problem turning on tracing (rabbitmqctl trace_on -p
myVhost) which would hang on this specific vhost.  Once I uploaded my clean
config I was able to enable trace without issues.