[rabbitmq-discuss] 3.1.1 High watermark permanent blocking

Mark Ward ward.mark at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 17:25:10 BST 2013

Hi,

I think I have found a problem with RabbitMQ 3.1.1 where during long periods
of entering and exiting high watermark memory flow control the server will
stop sending and receiving messages on all existing connections and new
connections.  Even when the queues have no messages in them the server is
stuck in a high watermark flow control state.  The memory high watermark is
still exceeded.  I have left the server and clients up for over 24 hours and
the state does not change.

The issue is repeatable.

The same test works against RabbitMQ 2.8.7.  The RabbitMQ 2.8.7 will for
long periods enter and exit flow control but never enters a permanent state
like RabbitMQ 3.1.1.

I have tested RabbitMQ 3.1.1 on
-Ubuntu Server 12.04 with all updates applied.  The Ubuntu server is setup
to pull in apt-get RabbitMQ from “http://www.rabbitmq.com/debian/ testing
main” and erlang from “http://binaries.erlang-solutions.com/debian precise
contrib”
-Windows 2012 Standard

Both the Ubuntu and Windows install of RabbitMQ 3.1.1 ran into the same
issue.  Both are repeatable.

The RabbitMQ 2.8.7 was performed on the same Windows 2012 server.  All
directory was cleared out before the installation.

The RabbitMQ log files on the Ubuntu and Windows 2012 for the RabbitMQ 3.1.1
didn’t contain any error messages.  The only message was the memory alarm
log entries.  The -sasl.log didn’t contain any log messages.

My client is .NET using the 3.1.1 library pulled from nuget.  I ran into the
same problem using the .NET 3.0.4 library.

I am pretty confident that my client is not publishing on the subscribing
connection.

I would like to help track down what might be going on with RabbitMQ 3.1.1.
But I must request that describing how my client is working be taken offline
in a private conversation.

-Mark