[rabbitmq-discuss] (no subject)

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Mon Jun 3 13:04:16 BST 2013

On 03/06/13 12:47, Alvaro Videla wrote:
> The database consulted by the exchange lives in the same memory space as
> RabbitMQ, it's an embedded database, so there is no network overhead.

I think Tamir was hoping that client libraries wouldn't have to send
messages over the network when there are no subscribers.

Tamir, that's not how any of the messaging protocols implemented by
RabbitMQ work - publishing of a message always results in the message
being sent from the client to the RabbitMQ broker.

However, you can set up local brokers - on the same machine or at least
same network as your clients - and connect them up in a federation
(http://www.rabbitmq.com/federation.html). Crucially, messages are only
transmitted between federation nodes when there are queues with matching
bindings.

The same is true of clustering (http://www.rabbitmq.com/clustering.html)
- messages are only transmitted between clustered nodes when there are
queues with matching bindings.

Matthias.